Wednesday, May 13, 2015

It's Pinsday!

I have been sick, again.  It seems that I cannot shake the flu bugs that come and go around here.  This is the fifth infection since I got my flu shot last fall.  Of course, it triggers my asthma and really takes a toll on my health.  After two weeks I still have a cough, but it is getting better finally.  One of my doctors said that the flu shot was just not as effective this year.  Amen to that.

When I felt like cooking, I tried a couple of really great recipes from Pinterest.  The first is Thai Chicken Salad with Orange Peanut Dressing.  http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/02/thai-chicken-salad-orange-peanut-ginger-dressing/  Very yummy.  Actually made it as it was written.  I purchased all of the ingredients and did exactly what it said to do.  I was a little nervous about serving it to Dan, because he doesn't like recipes with peanut butter in them, but he ate it and had seconds (usually a good recommendation).  The day after I found out that I forgot to put the cashews in it, but I just ate them plain (there was no leftover salad).  Next time.  It was still delicious anyway.  The pin is located in my board: Salads and Dressings.

The second was a shrimp dish called Cilantro Lime Quinoa Shrimp Bowl--a warm dish.  http://www.spoonfulofflavor.com/2015/04/15/cilantro-lime-shrimp-quinoa-bowls/   When it says Cilantro it means tons of cilantro.  Each layer was filled with cilantro and lime.  I don't love cilantro, but I made it just like it said.   Interestingly enough, I had most of the ingredients in my freezer;  shrimp, leftover black beans and leftover quinoa.  I did not have a mango, but had a can of mangos (not recommended for texture, but the flavor worked), and my avocado for the dressing was spoiled (it works without the avocado), and I was too sick to run to the store.  We managed without these, and the dish was quite delicious.  This pin is in my board: I Love Food, la Mer.

Both recipes has tons of cilantro, so I consider them a way to broaden my palate.  It wasn't so bad.

Last but not least, by any means is Five Minute Raspberry Chia Seed Jam.  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/201536152051638113/ 
The pin is found on my new board: Condiments, Jam and Pickles along with other jams I want to try.
Raspberry freezer jam is a favorite of mine; I could eat it with a spoon, and I do.  I have seen these recipes for Chia Seed Jams and have the Chia Seed so I wanted to try them.  Smith's had raspberries on sale last week for .99 per cup so I picked up 10 cups and froze the berries.  I saved out two cups to make the jam.  It is good, not too sweet and will be yummy on hot rolls or ice cream.  It is not as good on toast (soggy, but I rushed it not allowing the seeds to thicken the jam).  One must not expect low sugar to taste like regular jam.  If it did, there would be no sinful pleasure in the original.    I used two tablespoons of honey because I like it tart, but you can add more to taste.  

Here are some pictures.  It is such a beautiful color.

I used the shjusher--the wand blender so I didn't have to scrape it out of the blender.  It worked wonderfully.  The touch of vanilla is a good addition.

So good.  I could eat it with a spoon, too.  Not as sweet, but ever so raspberry.  I am not sure how long it will keep in the refrigerator.  I will probably eat it before I find out.  

Here is my breakfast:  an onion omelet with salsa on top, cantaloupe and toast and jam.  


HAPPY PINNING


BLOG'nGRAM

No comments:

Post a Comment