Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Always On a Windsday When the Pins Begin To Flow.

Pardon my pun.   I plan to try new pin recipes each week otherwise, why am I pinning them??? just to look at the pretty pictures???  So Windsday will be Pinsday. This is my menu making day and I search through my pins to find something to add to my menu.  I love to try new recipes because the old stuff is getting old, just like me.  

On Windsday I will review the ones I tried and evaluate them for all to see.  I am sure Pooh Bear would approve.

From the last week there are three pin recipes I tried.   I finally tried the Cauliflower Pizza Crust.  There are many recipe versions on Pinterest.  I used this one:  http://www.sweetashoney.co.nz/cauliflower-pizza-crust-paleo-low-carb/
FYI the pin is on my board called 'Dairy, Sugar or Gluten Free'.  I searched forever to find where in the world I pinned it and finally had to pin it again and go to the prompt 'pin already saved' and click on the red portion to find out where.  It works.  I will fix that problem soon and open a new board called 'Pizza, Pizza' and coordinate all my pizza and pizza crust recipes.  

I made this pizza almost as it is listed.  I did put my pizza stone in the oven to heat up. before starting.  I also grated my cauliflower by hand because I didn't want to dirty the food processor.  Silly me.  I put the first baking process on parchment paper on my metal pizza pan and set that on top of the pizza stone for the first 10 minutes.  Then after peeling the pizza crust off of the paper I flipped it over and slid it off of the metal pan onto the stone for the second bake before topping it with spiced tomato sauce, Mozzarella and pepperoni, and finished cooking. 

Some cauliflower substitution are great and others are so, so, and other are not so good.  This one is good. but it tasted like there was just no crust on the pizza; like the topping were just holding together all alone.  It was different.  I am not saying it is not good, and the carb count is incredible.  I will make it again.  I do miss the bread.

The second recipe I did not get on Pinterest, but on TV from Sara Moulton's Work Week Meals, or something like that.  She had a guest chef, Joey Campanaro who has a restaurant in NY.  

The recipe is:  Salad Dressing Chicken.  He suggests using chicken legs because they are fatter and so more flavorful.

1 doz chicken legs (more or less)
Dressing:  
1 T Dijon Mustard
2  T Sherry Vinegar (I used Pomegranate Red Wine)
1 T Rice Vinegar
1 T Honey (adds depth of flavor and helps caramelize chicken)
2 shallots chopped
4 T EVOO
S&P

Place chicken in baking dish, cover with dressing.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. (I put mine in the crock pot for 3-4 hours on low for Sunday dinner)

Salad:
Chop escarole, herbs: dill, parsley, cilantro and add coarse salt.  Mix and place in serving bowl.  Top with 1 can drained Cannellini beans.  

When the chicken is done, remove to serving plate and pour the warm dressing and drippings over the greens and serve.  

This was good, but lots of oil/grease in the cooked dressing.  It added flavor (and fat grams). Chicken breasts can be used.  I would say not cooked so long if they are boneless.  The extra fat comes from the skin, I think, but it is tasty and crusty.

Last but not least, I made Cinnamon Roll Pancakes and I will do that tomorrow.  No more time for blogging today.  I need to clean the refrigerator and make a menu and go shopping at Sprouts because it is double ad day.  Ta, Ta.

I cannot find any pix on my camera for these.  Guess I didn't take any; I am becoming a slacker.  I'll try better next time.


HAPPY PINNING


CYBERGRAM

(Looking for a better moniker.  Any ideas?  Cyber seems to last decade.)


  




No comments:

Post a Comment