Thursday, February 19, 2015

Fish Thursday

Most Yummy Fish Tacos

This is the best fish taco I have tasted yet. It is in a slightly older edition of The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, 2002, page 283.  I could not find it online or on pinterest so I will copy it here and then pin it myself.  

Fish Tacos
Start to Finish: 20 Minutes                Oven:  450 degrees F                  Makes 4 servings

1  pound fresh or frozen skinless cod, orange roughy or other fish fillets
2  T butter or margarine, melted
1/4  tsp. ground cumin
1/8  tsp. garlic powder
3  T mayonnaise or salad dressing
1  tsp. lime juice
1 1/2 C shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix) or shredded cabbage
8  corn taco shells, warmed according to package directions
1  recipe Mango Salsa (from page 291)

Thaw fish, if frozen.  Rinse and fish and pat dry with paper towels. Cut fish crosswise into 3/4 in. slices.  Place fish in single layer in greased shallow baking pan.  Combine butter, cumin and garlic powder.  Brush over fish and bake in 450 degree oven for 4-6 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl stir together mayonnaise and lime juice.  Add cabbage; toss to  coat.  Spoon some of the coleslaw mixture into each taco shell; add fish slices.  Top with Mango Salsa.

Mango Salsa
                                       Makes 2 cups
1 1/2 C chopped mango or peaches
1 medium red sweet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1/4  C thinly sliced green onions
1  Jalepeno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1  T olive oil
1/2  tsp. finely shredded lime peel
1  T lime juice
1  T vinegar
1/4  tsp salt    1/4  tsp pepper

Mix together and serve on the tacos.

That is the original recipe.  Now here is my adaptations.  The fish, I used cod, was very watery.  After 6 minutes it was swimming in water so I drained the pan and cooked another 10-15 minutes or until it was dried out a little and starting to crisp.  I also used medium sized uncooked flour tacos that I fried up on a hot oiled griddle.  I had no fresh mangoes or peaches nor time to go to the store.  I used some home canned peaches that no one will eat because they turned a little dark and chopped them up and put them in some Pace Salsa and it was sooo good. It was like Costco's Mango Salsa that I love,(but my husband does not like.) Now I know I can have Mango Salsa whenever I want without trying to use up a huge bottle all by myself.

Pix from the Better Homes and Garden book.

I didn't take my own pix because I didn't know they were going to be so good.  Just wanted to share.

Happy Cooking

CYBERGRAM








No comments:

Post a Comment