Monday, February 16, 2015

Serendipity

I just popped into Walmart today to pick up a prescription and there were baskets full of Valentine Stuff for 50% off.  I couldn't help myself, I had to look.  There were many chocolate heart values, a couple of Lindt and Ghirardelli packages which I grabbed up quickly, and a bunch of junk packages of stuff like pens, erasers, pencil sharpeners with several in a pack.  I filled my cart for gift stuff and then put them all back.  Don't buy it if you don't need it!  I did make out like a bandit on Valentine flowers.  I got an orchid for $5. Hope I don't kill this one.  (Actually the last one bloomed twice before it croaked.)  I got miniature roses for $2.50. They can be planted outside--each pot has four or five roses in it.  They do better in the ground overwinter than in pots.
Miniature roses in the window 

I also got four cyclamen.  They were almost drowned, but came right out of it when drained.  They don't do as well outdoors when planted in the ground but I am going to try pots on the shady porch.  My mother and I used to collect them and exchange them as gifts.  I think of her when I see a cyclamen plant.  They are so pretty.


Cyclamen in my greenhouse window

Tip of the day: Remember to cut out the bottom of the pretty foil covering the pots so they can drain properly or they might drown.  (If you remove the foil, you will just have an ugly pot until you can repot into something respectable.:)

Tip:  If you do take them outside later remember to harden them off slowly to the outdoor weather.  If the leaves of your plant get white, it is too cold and windy, or too sunny for them.

Happy Houseplants!


1 comment: