Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 14: Patriotic Stars

It is Flag Day. I must interrupt my schedule and make a necklace to wear tonight--an all American red, white and blue necklace.

The inspiration is a Suspended Pearl necklace that my mother gave me years ago. It is very Type 1, all circles and bubbly.

The necklace matches my Fireworks Earrings that I made some years ago. I love to dress up for the holidays.

The pearls were attached with glue--no knots or crimps. I decided to try that myself. First I tried my secret weapon fingernail polish. It just wouldn't work. Then I tried my Insta-Fix Adhesive--More than 3 times stronger. It will bond anything together. That should be a warning. The first attempt I set it on my metal ruler to make them a half inch apart. Got to the end and OH, OH they were all stuck to the ruler. I had to cut them off with my wire cutter. Not good. Now, here's the bond anything together/3 times stronger part. Like any other super glue it bonded my fingers to everything instantly.
That is the alligator clip stuck to my finger. There might be bits of skin stuck to some of the stars (eeuww). The clip stuck to the stars, the stars stuck to each other. It was a four hour sticky mess. My fingertips still hurt from ripping them off things (ouch).
I was telling people about my blog and hinting that I hoped to get some sales and, of course, someone wanted one like the stars. Not in this lifetime. It is pretty, but a one of a kind. I never want to make it again. Holidays are coming--you may see more patriotic jewelry. It's my thing!

1 comment:

  1. Bummer, I was hoping to get one. Guess I will have to wait and see if you make anything else I might like. I like to wear things related to the holidays now. I wonder where I got that from????

    Amy

    ReplyDelete